Sunday, November 18, 2007

 

Marketing, not as we know it

....In this Blog I always try to push. I don't want to accept Apple Pie.

I would like to make a short statement about marketing and research. Most standards talk about the separation of the two, that it must be pure research and not involve marketing. I can see the reason for this, especially when we think of the CATI era where we needed to preserve response rates to research against those telemarketers!

But in the engagement era is it not different? Are consumer conversations both marketing and research at the same time? When we build permission based research participants do we need to think in that way? For example when we recruit these people we often use marketers and we suddenly become marketing technique experts! The very people that we engage with are marketing people who often sell services across the industry.

I think that we should always challenge ourselves and not just accept rules because they may actually be in place to support a previous paradigm. I am not saying that it isn't right, but what I am saying is that we need to think about it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?