Sunday, November 26, 2006

 

Linus Torvalds

Linus gave us Linux! Now this entry could be about how the open-source movement is morally right compared to the Microsoft empire. Well, actually I don't believe that and I don't really have a strong opinion on it - so I won't go there.

Anyone who reads this Blog will hopefully get a sense that I am personally fascinated by ideas and creation. Winston Churchill once said that the "Future Empires are Empires of the Mind. " I believe that.

I want to look at Linus' ideas again because I believe that they have great power in our world of research and marketing. Of course our individual brains are becoming sharper and more skilled over time. The reality is however that everybody is more clever than somebody - no matter who they are.

The open source movement created so much precisely because so many people contributed. Well if we look at insights or web 2.0 I believe that the same principles can be harnessed. For example:

- give respondents (participants in the new world) an individual incentive to create better ideas. Put them in contact with each other and let them fly in order to create better marketing solutions
- collect information and debrand it. Create an infrastructure where consultants and experts from many fields can provide perspectives and opinions on where to take the marketing solutions based on that data. The reward is kudos and incentives. Imagine the competitive and ego streak to drive a better solution! With so many disciplines falling over themselves to have the best ideas and 'solutions' imagine the fusion of techniques.

Would this type of business model not create? That is peer to peer production in a marketing and research framework. I guess I didn't think so long since my last entry!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?