Monday, September 25, 2006

 

A Flat World or a World of Flat Opportunities?

I read this article today which really interested me. It is about the future of the internet and I agree with most of its conclusions. What really makes me jump though is this notion of the 'Flat World'. This is nothing but an apology or iteration of business as usual I think.

True, I am very excited by an inter-connected world where the internet surrounds us and binds us together. The Virtual world becoming more real than the real world itself. However this will not happen on a flat plain!

- access to the technology (like food) will be available only to those who have entitlement. Read anything by Hopi Sen to uncover this great concept of 'entitlement'
- the dominant spatial geographies will drive the technology and create a core and a periphery (most likely US, China, North Asia and India at the core).

It is clear however that global expansion is a given. This will create opportunities not just to expand the on-line research message (and the engagement paradigm) but also access to new types of data and insights through greater connectivity (wireless, smart machines and so on)

I am excited (and yes, a little nervous). We will have to work hard to keep up with this!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?